AWARD FOR SCOUT LEADERS AND SUPPORTERS OF ISLAMIC SCOUTING PROGRAM OF BSA
What is the Allaho Akber Award?
The National Islamic Committee on Scouting established the “Allaho Akber” (God is Great) Award to recognize outstanding service by adults in the promotion of Scouting among Muslim youth.
Recommendations for the award may be made by Imams of the Mosques, directors of Muslim centers, presidents of Muslim organizations, or Boy Scout councils to the National Islamic Committee on Scouting. If approved, the name of the nominee should be submitted for ratification to the Islamic Council on Scouting of North America.
In case there is no local Islamic Committee on Scouting, an ad hoc committee consisting of the local Scouting executive, local Imam or director of the Muslim Center will serve as the awards committee and would forward its approval to the Islamic Council on Scouting.
Guidelines for Selection of Nominee
- An “Allaho Akber” recipient should:
- Promote the use of Scouting in Islamic centers, Mosques, Muslim Community organizations and other institutions of Muslim faith.
- Encourage the Muslim youth to join the Boy Scouts of America as Tiger Cubs, Club Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Explorers.
- Recruit Muslim leaders on unit, district and council levels.
- Encourage and assist Scouts in earning “Bismillah” and “In the Name of God” emblem.
- Promote religious observance on camping trips and at camporees, summer camp and other religious functions.
- Exemplify religious convictions by personal participation in all aspects of the Islamic way of life.
The Allaho Akber Award consists of a pendant 2 inches in diameter suspended by a 1.5 to 1.75 inch white ribbon.
The pendant is bordered with the letters “Islamic Council on Scouting,” and is embossed with a crescent which stands for complete faith in God, and a five point star representing the five pillars:
- Declaration of Faith (Tawheed)
- Prayers (Salaat)
- Fasting (Saum)
- Poor Tax (Zakah)
- Pilgrimage (Hajj)
The white ribbon represents the universal Islamic aspiration of peace and love.